- Richard Allerton-Austin 2593, Osteopath, The Marina, Bexhill.
- John James Borthwick P.P.G.W. Surrey, 1661, 2096, 5888, retired technical brewer, Chestnut Walk, Little Common.
- Matthias Walter Catt 2434, 5059, retired bank official, Pebsham Farm, Bexhill.
- Leonard Frederick Chandler 2483, Master Printer, London Road, Bexhill.
- Basil Newport Dunster 3736, Chartered Electrical Engineer, London Road, Bexhill.
- William Francis L.G.R., 5379, 4076, Furrier, Marina Court, Bexhill.
- Frederick Stanley Gibbs 398, Manager of the Wheatsheaf Inn, Little Common.
- Ronald Harry Gilliam 1380, Accountant, Pear Tree Lane, Little Common.
- William Samuel Harris 2841, 3345, 2483, retired Farmer, Cantelupe Road, Bexhill.
- Alexander Henney, O.B.E. 1208, Master Mariner, Glenleigh Park Road, Bexhill.
- Harold Hildred 889, 2048, 382, 2483, retired Assurance Manager, Church Lane, Hooe.
- Norman Frank Hill 3923, 2483, Schoolmaster, London Road, Bexhill.
- John McIntosh 4315, 2483, French Polisher and Dance Band Leader, Dalehurst Road, Bexhill.
- James Thomas Herbert Mason P.P.G.D. Surrey 3968, 5688, 5888, 2483, retired Bank Manager, Maple Walk, Little Common.
- Albert Edward Mears 874, Postmaster-Librarian, Barnhorn Road, Little Common.
- Herbert Morris 4808, 4326, Company Director, Collington Avenue, Bexhill.
- Peter Drummond Muirhead 16, 353, 2483, retired, De La Warr Road Bexhill.
- David Perry 2483, Secretary for East Sussex Hospital Scheme, Eastwood Road, Bexhill.
- Harry J. Saywood 3190, Wine and Spirit Merchant, Buckhurst Place, Bexhill.
- Sidney Bailey Selmes 2483, 5273, 40, Trade Organisation Secretary, Boscobel Road North, St.Leonards-on-Sea.
- William Dougherty Smith P.P.G.D., 2483, Building Industry Clerk, Station Road, Bexhill.
- Frank Felix Spooner 2918, 2483, Motor Engineer, Woodville Road, Bexhill.
- Norman Tuckett Spry 2483, Builder and Decorator, Havelock Road, Bexhill.
- Arthur James Thompson L.G.R., 3910, 5379, Hotelier and retired Purser, Devonshire Hotel, Bexhill.
An Early Photograph of the Founders
It is believed with the best information available, that this photograph was taken in April 1950, in the upstairs dining room of the Devonshire Hotel, Devonshire Square, Bexhill-on-Sea.
In 1993 the lodge was also delighted to join W.Bro. Frank Spooner as he celebrated 50 years in Freemasonry. A happy milestone aspired to by many, but achieved by so few.
The officers designate were noted as:
- Master designate - W.Bro. A.J. Thompson.L.G.R.
- S.W. designate - Bro. F.F. Spooner.
- J.W. designate - Bro. S.B. Selmes.
- Treasurer designate - W.Bro. J.J. Borthwick.P.P.G.W. Surrey.
- Secretary designate - W.Bro. J.T.H. Mason.P.P.G.D.Surrey.
A name or title, as well as a number must distinguish every lodge. Once that name or title is decided and recorded it cannot be changed without the approval of Grand Lodge and Provincial Grand Lodge. It is not surprising then, that when this item was discussed on the 12th December it generated a great deal of discussion.
One strong suggestion was that the name of the new lodge be connected with the Earl of De La Warr's family but after much discussion this idea was discarded. Brother Frank Spooner then suggested that the lodge take its name from the Royal Sovereign Light Vessel which guarded the dangerous shoals 9 miles off the Bexhill coast and was in clear view to residents and visitors alike. Amongst the founders were both working and retired Master Mariners and it was thought that the name was particularly appropriate. This was unanimously accepted and so the new lodge was named.
The choice of day for the regular meetings also caused much discussion, but as we had 9 founders out of the 24 who worked in London and commuted on a daily basis, it was decided to meet on a Saturday and in addition to be a dining Lodge. At that time the Hadrian and Bexhill Lodges were non-dining. (i.e. dining fees were paid separately to the annual lodge subscription). It was also agreed that the lodge would meet on the third Saturday in the months of February, March, April, September, October and November at such hour as the Master may determine. The Installation meeting was set as the regular meeting in September. A little different from the present calendar.
With regard to the ritual to be used by the new Lodge, the founders agreed that the first Worshipful Master and first Senior Warden would use the London Ritual, Universal, West End or Taylor's working. Thereafter the lodge would work the Nigerian version of Emulation working, but as the brethren will know, it is the Revised Emulation Ritual of 1986 that is currently worked.